In society apps, there are two levels on which you can send a news message: app level or event level. The steps to send the message and the available options are the same.
- App news messages will appear in the overview below the News tile on the selection screen. If you send a push notification with an app message, it will be sent to everyone that has the app installed.
- Event messages will appear in the event news feed. Push notifications are sent only to those that have installed the event.
Send a new message
To send a new message, go to the message overview by clicking the menu item. Select the tab News and click Add news.
This will open a wizard with two steps.
Step 1: Content
- Subject: this is used in two places: the title in the news overview and, if you send a push notification, as the push notification text. Keep this below 75 characters, as it might be truncated if it's longer.
- Push notification: tick this box if you, besides including the news messages in the overview, also want to send a push notification. Be careful with sending push notifications: if you send too many, users will be annoyed and switch off notifications completely.your users.
- Message: add the text of your message here. You can use basic styling (bold, italic, underlined), bullet lists and links. Please note that links will open in the in-app browser, so that users do not leave your app. In case you want a link to open in an external browser, add: ?openlinkType=external. If the link already contains a ?-query, use &openlinkType=external instead.
- Media: media will appear above the news message in the feed and on the detail page. For video's, you need to add a URL, so the video should already be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. For images, you can either link to a URL, when your image is already online, or you can upload the image directly. To remove an added image or video, click Clear.
Step 2: Date and time
- Send date and time: here you can choose to send the message Now or to Select a date schedule it for later. If the latter, select the date and time when to send it. Make sure to also set if this is the date and time in your current timezone or in the event timezone.
- Expiration date and time: if you want your message to expire after a certain period, set an expiration date and time for it by choosing Select a date. After this date, the message is no longer visible in the app. This could be useful for example for late room changes or activity announcements, that are not relevant anymore after the session or activity has ended. If you set an expiration date, you also need to select the timezone of this date.
Click Send/Schedule after adding all details. If you've chosen to send it now, it will ben sent immediately. You can then see a checkmark left of the message. If you've scheduled it for later, you see a clock icon, and the date it will be sent.
Edit a message
Scheduled or sent news messages can be edited by clicking Edit in the overview. This can be useful if you've for example made a typo. The same data as above can be edited. Please note that when your message has already been sent with a push notification, the box is unchecked, as you cannot send messages in the past. Expired messages cannot be edited.
Delete a message
To delete a message from the news in the app, click Delete in the overview. If you had a push notification scheduled, it will no longer be sent.