To import from an Excel, first a template needs to be created with the right column headers. For each category (Program items and Persons) a different template is exported, thus a different sheet.
For both categories, the following steps should be taken:
Step 1: Add one object of every type
To create the Excel template, an export of the existing data is made. In order to make sure the template contains all columns you need, so you can fill in all the data you have, at least one object of every type needs to be added manually. This can either be a real or a dummy object, as long as you enter data for all fields and sections you want to fill in later.
For the Program items category, create at least one day, one session and one presentation. For Persons, create at least one person.
Step 2: Export to template file
After adding the objects, click the Export button top right to create the template. This exports one file per category. Open the file in Excel or a similar program.
Step 3: Add your data
In the template, add the data or copy it from another sheet. Per category and per type, different columns are available, based on the information that can be added and the sections that are defined.
Below, a number of possible columns and attention points with each of these are listed.
General columns for both Program items & Persons
- id: this is the id of the object. This id is used to identify the object, so it should be unique in this configurator. Make sure that when importing from different spreadsheets, there are no overlapping ids in them. The id is used to link to this object from other objects, so to link a speaker or chair to a program item. Best practice is to use the name of the object with a prefix of the type name, so that you can easily recognise it or refer to it from another object, for example person_janedoe and session_PG01. Please note that the id should not contain spaces.
- parent: for program items, you need to add the id of the item under which this one is nested. Please note this is a required field: if you don't add the parent, it is not possible to create a release.
- name: the full name of the person or program item. To make sure they are not truncated, we recommended them to be less than 50 characters for program items (two lines) and less than 25 for persons (one line).
- ordering: the name or number to use when ordering items in a list. For persons, this is for example the the last name, for presentations it can be a number.
- date, startTime, endTime: enter the date and time in the same format as the exported example.
- subNameList: the subtitle in lists (left in the image below). Recommended to be less than 25 characters to not be truncated.
- subNameDetail: the subtitle on detail pages (right in the image below).
- info: This can contain the biography, session info, or abstract. You can either add unformatted text, which will be added as basic text, or HTML.
Program items specific columns
While it is possible to link program items to persons through the person's detail page in the configurator, it's only possible to do it through the Program items sheet. The following columns appear only in the Program items sheet:
- roleId_speaker: Add the persons ids of the people with the role of speaker here.
- roleId_chair: Add the persons ids of the people with the role of chair here.
If you want to add multiple speakers or chairs but the template only has one column, copy the column and increase the postfix. An example: copy roleId_speaker_1 and change the name to roleId_speaker_2.
After adding all the data, save your file and make sure to remember the location where it's saved, so you can easily select it in the next step.
Step 4: Import the file
Go to the category of the data you are going to import and click the Import button on the toolbar. Select the just uploaded file and click Import. When the import is ready, its logs are displayed below the dropdown. These are especially helpful when there are errors in your data, such as ids or columns that don't exist, or formatting that's incorrect.
Please note that if you use the Excel import to make changes to objects that were imported from a channel, this channel data will be overwritten and the fields or sections you're changing will be locked.
Step 5: Add profile pictures to persons
Profile pictures cannot be set in the Excel file. This can be added after the import. Click the Edit button in the table for the person you want to edit to select or upload a new picture.